The circa 1920 Coghlan Hall is on the Township’s
Listing of Heritage Resources as a heritage character site. It
is not a listed site because the original wood siding was over
layered with vinyl and wood windows and doors replaced with more
contemporary aluminum and vinyl units. Much of this modernization
occurred sometime in the mid- late 1970’s or early 1980’s
and could, if and when it is appropriate, be relatively easily
reversed as part of a restoration or adaptive use plan.
The Hall is situated at the centre of an area known as Coghlan,
just a few hundred feet to the east of the small Coghlan passenger
station on the inter-urban line and directly across the railway
tracks from the imposing 1910 art deco power station that serviced
the line and also provided power to Fort Langley, Milner and
Langley. It is a simple, rectangular shaped and basic wood
frame building that sits on a concrete basement which appears
been added later in its life.
The Hall was the centre of the social life for the area.
For more than 80 years it served the community well under the
of the all volunteer Coghlan Community Association. Like other
community halls around Langley, the Coghlan Hall was the site
for countless community celebrations such as Burns suppers,
Christmas parties, Scouts and Guide meetings, Women’s
Institute gatherings, community suppers, card parties, box
socials and country fairs.
It was often the site for polling stations, local government
open houses and stewardship meetings. Individuals often rented
the Hall for weddings, funerals and anniversary parties as
well as religious services. As a result, its ties into the
many local families run deep.
The name Coghlan originated with two bothers, Nathaniel and
Henry, who settled in Langley in 1884 and took up quarter section
south of the Telegraph Trail on what is now 256th Avenue. They
ran a small but busy sawmill operation cutting dimension lumber
as well as ties for the interurban line during its construction
period. Two Coghlan Homes are included on the Township’s
Heritage listing as listed buildings. These include a simple
circa 1900 sawn lumber cabin and a circa 1892 two storey Gothic
The size of the floor of the hall is 29 feet by 43 feet
and holds about 60 people
we have 60 chairs and 10 tables